Tuesday, March 10, 2009

A day full-o-junk mail.

This morning I wake up and check my e-mail to find about 30 brand new junk mails that have slipped through the cracks of my junk filters. What the heck is going on with this?! Did I sign up on some kind of list?! Ah well, at least it gets me thinkin' that I'm popular for about a second and a half, there. And who doesn't like a good "Yay, me!" moment?

But how about some art, eh?!?!?

For the UArts portfolio day event, they tasked us talented students with making the promo card to invite prospective Art Directors. Of course, in true UArts style, they gave us as little notice as possible. Well, not really, since they could have said 'SURPRISE! HAND IT IN IN FIVE MINUTES!!!" and then there would have been a lot of ink blots and random paint scribbles almost a la Pollock instead of some of the things that actually got submitted. For my piece, I originally started making something that was entirely lame. When it came time to do the finish, I just couldn't bring myself to go through with it, so I said SCREW IT. I suddenly had a desire only to draw tea parties. Of course, I had this desire exactly 24 hours before the finish was to be handed in, but... Well, I like a challenge.



The secret is that the characters actually represent people! From left to right is Rachel Burkhard, Gloria Martin, Me, Collie Mills, and my sister Nanners. And the not-so-secret is that all the cakes and cookies on the table represent different types of illustration. I'm actually pretty happy with it, and there are only a few things I'm going to change before adding it to my portfolio.

I've also been having fun doing some quick illustrations for my friend, Lorne, for whatever reason I choose at the moment. Here's one that is just as strange even if you do know the context.



This is what happens when you give me a week off of class.

2 comments: